Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another day, Another move.....

Well, here we go again.
Today brutally started a 5.45am when I was woken by a bloke yelling 'hello, anyone in there? you do know your on private land......', this bloke was apparently the manager of the property my building was deposited on during the bungled robbery, and was evidentially none too happy. I discussed my situation with him, and informed him that as soon as the police had
visited, I was going to repair the damage caused, then hopefully relocate away from his property. He seemed mildly satisfied with my response, and continued on his way..... needless to say I returned to bed.
Later that morning I was visited by a couple of policemen, who were very nice, and even assisted me in the refitting of the deck to the rest of the building, a task that was going to be terribly difficult for one person alone. After they had left I returned to work repairing the other items of damage, before heading into St Helens where I purchased a new glass louver (which I later fitted) and organised a lift for the microhouse.
Everything seemed to be going so well as I returned and begun preparing my belongings and the building for relocation. At 4.30pm my lift arrived, a large tilt-tray tow truck. The truck would easily tow the building, however without a tow-ball we were in a bit of a pickle, and the building itself was wider than the tray, so again we were out of luck.
This left me again in a difficult position, not being able to leave the vehicle where it was, and not being able to move it. As a last ditch effort I returned to St Helens and borrowed my fathers old Toyota Land Cruiser. It's a fine vintage, and with over 470,000km's under its belt its definitely been around the block. Returning to the site I hitched the building on, took some photos, put the Cruiser into 4WD, and uttered some prayers. Initially I thought I was stuffed, the Crusier was screaming, and in top gear barely reaching 60KM/H, furthermore any incline caused a dramatic speed-loss, further adding to my worry, however slowly and steadily we crawled closer and closer to our destination, and just before dark we reached the property.
Now that we were here there was only one obstacle remaining.... the drive way.
The driveway is in fairly good condition for a mildly eroded gravel track, yet dips down to a small bridge over the creek, before rising again steeply to my intended site. This presented two serious problems; A - The creek sits in a valley, with slopes either way and there was a real chance of getting stuck at the bottom if I didnt make it to the other side. B - If I did make it to the top of the steep rise I would then have to content with a fairly difficult corner, and would probably have to limit my speed considerably.
After checking and rechecking the steep and very loose slope I finally decided to go for it, I had gotten this far and was not to be defeated. So down we roared, pushing the limits of 4th gear, vehicle screaming (approximately 30-35KM/H), building bouncing as we flew down to the creek, then up to the other side, lucking the corner, and achieving our goal.
We had finally made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment