Friday, January 8, 2010

Were onsite!


After many delays, the project is finally underway.
Today saw the realisation of my plans to date, with the building being towed, slowly and carefully, from its previous location outside the University of Tasmania's School of
Architecture and Design, to its new home on Tasmania's east coast.
The journey took approximately four hours, and added unmeasurable delays and frustration to the
poor souls stuck behind us. I
noticed a couple of things on the journey:
1. The buildings weight is too far back and is unevenly distributed, which causes it to rock back and forth. Future iteration of this particular building model should consider the axles location and
weight distribution.
2. The bathroom door will require a latch to either
hold it open or closed during transit as it continued to open and close during cornering.
3. The installed indicator and brake lights are only 12v, which
seems curious as to tow the building (2.8 tonnes) requires a
fairly decent truck, which generally run 24v. This is another consideration which could inform future
iterations.
Upon reaching our destination we were faced with the challenging of siting the building, a task made more complex by the solar panels location and requirements, the uneven terrain, limited vehicular manoeuvrability and the desirable ocean views, which all seemed to be working again us. The resulting position seems
to work well, and while the building does not open directly to the ocean the smaller windows provide some
lovely snapshot views down the beach.
Once sited I went to work unpacking, and moving in (after having a swim of-course), which was a simple and fairly quick process. It wasn't until I had unpacked everything and sat down with a cup of tea that I realised just how much space there was. I could easy double my belongings and still have space storage space.
The storage shelves are brilliant, with my only complain being the lack of doors (dark place for potatoes, security for personal effects, wardrobe storage, etc.).
In other news everything seems to be going very well, powers working, lights are working, gas is working, and I think I may have figured out why the water pump is not working. I have not decided how to achieve hot water, however this is not a pressing issue as I can boil water and enjoy cold showers.
This should do me for now, as the purpose of inhabiting this building is not to solely to blog, however I must again thank my driver for the brilliant job he has done, delivering the building in one piece despite the challenging condition.


No comments:

Post a Comment